MIES (Switzerland) – All FIBA 3x3 rankings – which have been frozen since April 1, 2020 – will remain unchanged until at least April 1, 2021 (except if FIBA communicates a further extension) to avoid disrupting Olympic eligibility and qualification to next year’s competitions.
Since April 2020, no ranking points have expired or been added for any players. Although FIBA lifted its general suspension of all competitions on July 9, some players, teams and federations are still unable to participate in FIBA 3x3 official competitions and resume any 3x3 activity in their country. By freezing the rankings until April 1, 2021, FIBA guarantees that even in countries still affected by the COVID-19 pandemic for the foreseeable future:
- The (currently) highest-ranked federations can still qualify to 2021 national team competitions.
- The top 3x3 players and teams can still get a spot in the professional circuit in 2021.
- The top 3x3 players remain eligible to compete at the Tokyo Olympics.
Federations, teams and players, who are able to successfully return to the court now, will be rewarded as soon as the freezing of the ranking is lifted.
When the ranking calculations resumes on April 1, 2021, there will be 3 different periods:
- Until March 31, 2021, the rankings are frozen meaning they are identical to the rankings of April 1, 2020.
- From April 1, 2021 to September 30, 2021, all players will:
As normal, benefit from the ranking points earned in the last 12 months
Transitionally, benefit from a 12-month extension for the ranking points earned before the freezing of the ranking on April 1, 2020
- From October 1, 2021, the rankings will be calculated as normal, based on the last 12 months.
For more information on the FIBA 3x3 Rankings, go to our FAQ on FIBA3x3.basketball.